Re: matrix sizes

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: matrix sizes
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:08:16 -0400

On 15-Sep-2004, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| So then it is simply a matter of converting all array size and index
| variables everywhere in liboctave and liboctinterp to use
| octave_size_t, defined as octave_uint64 for your purposes.
| Simple enough, but time consuming.

I recall a message to one of the lists in the last year or so from
someone who said they were working on this.  When I suggested that
they work with us to integrate the changes, I never heard from them
again.

Since the Octave sources are rapidly evolving, it will not work for
someone to go off on their own and implement this change and then
submit a patch when the job is done.  The number of changes is simply
too large, and nearly every file will be modified.  By the time the
job is done, many of the patches would no longer apply.  So we need to
do something like

  #define OCTAVE_IDX_T size_t     // use this for testing the changes

  // #define OCTAVE_IDX_T int     // use this to keep things working

in config.h so we can make the changes incrementally.  This way,
we can divide the work and keep things working as changes are made.
After a file (or even just a portion of a file) is converted, a patch
can be submitted.  Then it is more likely that the changes will still
apply by the time the patch is submitted.

jwe