Re: Octave distribution (was: Re: Octave advocacy)

From: Stefan van der Walt
Subject: Re: Octave distribution (was: Re: Octave advocacy)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:12:09 +0200

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:42:33PM -0400, Paul Kienzle wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2004, at 9:07 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> >But as a Debian user, I am glad so many packages are just an 'apt-get
> >install' command away.  As a Debian maintainer, I try to make that
> >choice
> >available to others via the packages I look after.  Now, as for
> >choice, I
> >think these aren't even available in other distros:
> >
> >octave-ci - Contributed functions for the GNU Octave language
> >octave-epstk - GNU Octave encapsulated postscript toolkit
> >octave-gpc - Octave bindings for the General Polygon Clipper Library
> >octave-matcompat - Empty transition package for octave-forge
> >octave-plplot - Octave support for PLplot, a plotting library
> >octave-sp - Semidefinite Programming functions for GNU Octave
> >octave-statdataml - GNU Octave package for XML-based data exchange
> >matwrap - A wrapper generator for matrix languages
>

> There are some more packages which would be nice to have such as
> octave-vtk and WaveLab. Want to learn to become a Debian maintainer?
>
> WaveLab mex may not be permissable because the license may not
> be GPL compatible.  That's up to John to decide, I guess.

We will also need to modify WaveLab to work properly under Octave.
A set of patches and a Makefile should do the job.  It will also be useful
to write an interface that corresponds to MATLAB's wavelet toolbox.

Can someone close to Stanford make contact with David Donoho?  He does
not respond to e-mail.  He might be willing to modify the license or
allow us to submit patches?

Regards
Stefan