Re: Migrating to Linux/Octave

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Migrating to Linux/Octave
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:06:45 -0400 (EDT)

Strictly speaking, you don't have to switch to Linux to use
Octave---there's a Windows port. There are, in fact, many
interesting applications originating on Linux, that have
been ported to Windows: GIMP, OpenOffice, etc. etc.

Having said that, I am in the Linux party myself, so I would encourage
your exploring of Linux, especially if you are serious about the
64-bit systems. I have an Athlon64 running x86_64 flavor of
Fedora2---it runs like a champ. It certainly can be put together for
under 1k$ (currently, a low-end athlon64 motherboard/CPU can be had
for around $350---the premium for 64-bitness shouldn't be more than a
C note; c.f. my CPU 'market report' on http://dclug.tux.org/cpu.png )

Note that Octave is limited to 2GB or less data objects,
even on a 64-bit architecture.