Name collisions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Name collisions
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:12:49 -0400

On 27-Oct-2004, Joern Villesen Christensen <address@hidden> wrote:

| I work at the Technical University of Denmark, and we are investigating
| the possibilities of offering Octave as an alternative math tool for our
| students. Our system consists of a number of servers running Solaris 9, to
| which the students has access through SunRay terminals.
|
| I have downloaded Octave 2.1.57 and compiled it successfully on our
| pre-installation server. It starts ok and all seems fine.
|
| When I distributed the installation (with rsync) to our main servers, I
| get a number of name collisions when I start Octave. It seems to start ok,
| though...
|
| ----------------------- Dump begin -------------------------
| address@hidden:~$ octave
| Name collision between MI MI
| Name collision between Mu Mu
| Name collision between Mu Mu Mu
| Name collision between M0 M0
| Name collision between M1 M1
| Name collision between M2 M2
| Name collision between M3 M3
| Name collision between M4 M4
| Name collision between M5 M5
| Name collision between Mx Mx
| Name collision between My My
| Name collision between Mz Mz
| Name collision between MX MX
| Name collision between NH NO
| Name collision between NM NH NO
| Name collision between NN NH NM NO
| Name collision between NP NH NM NN NO
| Name collision between NQ NH NM NN NO NP
| Name collision between NR NH NM NN NO NP NQ
| Name collision between NT NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR
| Name collision between NU NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR NT
| Name collision between NV NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR NT NU
| Name collision between NX NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR NT NU NV
| Name collision between NL NL
| Name collision between NL NL NL
| Name collision between NL NL NL NL
| Name collision between NL NL NL NL NL
| Name collision between NH NH
| Name collision between NH NH NH
| Name collision between Nd Nd
| Name collision between Xz Xz
| Name collision between vi v8
| Name collision between v6 v6
| Name collision between v7 v7
| Name collision between va va
| Name collision between vd vd
| Name collision between wx wx
| Name collision between zl zl
| GNU Octave, version 2.1.57 (sparc-sun-solaris2.9).
| Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.
| This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
| There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
| FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.
|
| Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
|
| Please contribute if you find this software useful.
| For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
|
| Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
| http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).
|
| octave:1>

| Any clues to what is causing this error?

I don't have any clues, and I've never seen an error like this before.

Can you give us a clue about where the error is coming from?  Try
running Octave under a debugger, and stepping through the octave_main
function (defined in octave.cc) and find out what function call
generates these messages.

jwe