Debugging IDE for Octave?

From: Charles Fox
Subject: Debugging IDE for Octave?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:50:00 +0000 (GMT)

I've noticed the discussion about Octave IDEs, such as the emacs octave
mdoe, koctave and goctave.  However the main reason I'm still using matlab
for serious work is its integrated debugger: Matlab lets you quickly set
breakpoints, step through code, view variable contents, and stop on
errors.  Is there an octave package that will do this?  For example, I
think I saw an emacs mode that integrates such GUI facilities into the gdb
emacs mode.  It ends up with the program running in a lower window, and
interacting with the code display in an upper window, which shows the
current line, breakpoints etc.

If no such package exists for octave, would it be easy to write one, using
the same methods as the emacs gdb mode perhaps?

Charles Fox
DPhil student
Pattern Analysis & Machine Learning
Robotics Research Group