Multiple input()

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Multiple input()
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:10:28 -0700

To quote from the February 1997 GNU Octave Manual, p. 127:  "Currently input
[meaning the Octave input() function] only returns one value, regardless of
the number of values produced by the the evaluation of the expression."
Entering "help input" in Octave-2.1.57 gets the same wording.

Have any changes/updates allowed prompting for the reading a specified
number of values? Is there a "workaround" that uses scanf(template,"C"), or
similar constructs, that allows the number of inputs to vary from run to
run?

For a simple data plot display, I would like to ask: "How many columns to
plot?: 3". (That I can do.) Then I would enter a varying number of column ID
numbers, e.g. 5,10,15. Or, better yet, just count three entries and produce
the plots.

Yes, I could do it with a loop with input() asking for one column ID number
at a time.

Any ideas? Tricks? Suggestions? Thanks.

Joe