gnuplot commands

From: mavram
Subject: gnuplot commands
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:32:06 +0200

Hi,
I have to plot 7 sets of data + the curve describing their
average. I intend to plot every set of data with relatively small
points and the average with points twice as big.
I was unable to convince octave to use different point sizes in
the same graph, so I saved the array of 9 columns and some
1500 rows to an ascii file, u, and tried to plot the data directly
with gnuplot:
plot "u" index 0:1 with points pointsize 0.4
replot "u" index 0:2 with points pointsize 0.4
...and so forth...
Trouble is that instead of getting 8 different curves, every new
set of points lands smack atop the old one.
After reading three times the explanation about index in the
manual and not finding an answer, I recalled having read in one
of the mails how to print out the commands octave sends to
gnuplot (actually two mails: the answers sent by J.W.Eaton and by
P.Kienzle to T.Kornack).
So I wrote: gnuplot_binary = "tee /tmp/a | gnuplot" at the octave
prompt and plotted a graph.
Apparenly this is not working anymore (octave 2.1-57, gnuplot
4.0), as, at the end of the day, there was no /tmp/a file.
The only way I managed to get the graph I desired was to save
separatedly every curve (+ the common set of abscisses) in a two
column file and then, in gnuplot:
plot "s1" with points pointsize 0.4
replot "s2" with points pointsize 0.4
replot "avg" with points pointtype 59 pointsize 0.8

...There shouild be a better way.

Any comments, ideas ?

Thanks, Avraham