Re: GMP and Octave

From: Todd Neal
Subject: Re: GMP and Octave
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:23:15 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
| | 443426488243037769948249630619149892803
| octave:5> a^a-3
| ans =
| | 443426488243037769948249630619149892800

Would you only implement a scalar type or N-d arrays?  Complex values?
How integrated with other data types would it be?  Would you provide
mixed-type operations so that you could multiply a bignum by an int16
object?

jwe

I haven't look at any of the n-d array code so I'm not sure what all that entails.

I was testing and wrote a few mixed type operations to deal with scalars and multiple precision integers so a few other mixed type operations wouldn't be difficult to add.

I actually only implemented the multiple precision integer portion so probably the best thing to do would be rewrite it so that the type is of either multiple precision integer or multiple precision floating point and determine which to use depending on the operations performed. Ie., if you start with an integer and perform only addition, subtraction, and multiplication the result is still a multiple precision integer and will not be a multiple precision float.

Todd