Re: save function

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: save function
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:56:19 -0500

On  9-Mar-2005, Hamish Allan <address@hidden> wrote:

| > To mend that you might change the default_save_format, but to what?
|
| To -text, so that you get the same default behaviour. I think that's a
| great compromise, although I'd like to see an -raw option for the
| transition period while -ascii is just an alias for -text.

I've already checked in changes to the CVS archive that add -text as
an alias for -ascii and so that -ascii prints a warning.  The next
step is to add the code that does the (mostly) compatible saving, and
then add that capability with an option.  How about -mat-ascii, which
can stay around later as well and should have a clear meaning?

| And I'm still not convinced about dropping the imaginary parts of
| complex numbers for compatibility's sake ;)

Well, neither am I, and certainly not without also printing a warning
message.

jwe