Re: fopen: default open mode is now binary?

From: mavram
Subject: Re: fopen: default open mode is now binary?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:51:06 +0300

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:56:45AM -0400, Vic Norton wrote:
> I have just upgraded octave on my Mac (OS X) form 2.1.57 to 2.1.69. I
> am now getting a warning message that I am curious about:
>
>    warning: fopen: default open mode is now binary
>
> What should I do about this? It doesn't seem to present a problem. I
> am simply writing a text file
>    file = "Output/portfolioValues.csv";
>    fid = fopen(file, "w");
>    fprintf (fid, "Data for getCurrentValue.pl\n");
>    fprintf (fid, "date0, %s\n", date0);
>    fclose (fid);
> for subsequent processing by Perl. The correct text is being written.
> Is there something I can add to my "fopen" line to prevent the
> warning?
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

 Hi
If you write explicitely fid = fopen(file, "wt"), instead of just
fid = fopen(file, "w"); you won't get any warning.
But I am surprised that octave accepted the argument
file = "Output/portfolioValues.csv"
On my system, the succession of commands:
file = "Output/portfolioValues.csv";
fid = fopen(file, "w")
 gave the output: fid = -1; i.e. no file was opened. Only when I
 left out the Output/ part did it behave correctly

 I guess this is due to the fact that you use Mac OS while I am
 using linux: The meaning and treatment of the forward slash is
 apparently different.
 Cheers, Avraha