Re: Teaching Using Octave

From: A Scotte Hodel
Subject: Re: Teaching Using Octave
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:52:11 -0500

I suggest Octave to my students as an alternative to MATLAB in my courses. Regardless of which of these tools you use, I think that you should expect to spend a total of one week (three 50 minute lectures) in a given course to either review or tutor your students in either tool. I've written a short MATLAB tutorial (a work in progress) for one of our lab courses that may be of some assistance. See my course weblog at http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas/classes/C315027937/E929813380/ index.html
The tutorial is in chapter 4.

Since most students are using Windows, I've also put up a copy of the instructions on how to install Octave on windows at another weblog entry: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas/classes/C294999662/ E1746439820/index.html
(This one probably needs to be cleaned up)

A few students have installed Octave on their machines and have not had any trouble adapting from MATLAB. If they install octave-forge (from octave.sourceforge.net) then printing (export of plots to .jpg, .eps, .fig, etc.) should be straightforward.

One course in which I used Octave is an undergraduate course in stochastic signals and systems: my lecture notes are at http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas/classes/C1051586965/ E242544089/index.html
You will find several m-file examples listed in the index.

I hope that helps.

Yours,

Scotte Hodel