Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:41:33 -0700

Hamish,

> This seems to be where the confusion arises. There exists plenty of
> F(L)OSS for proprietary platforms.
Please educate me: what is a F(L)OSS for proprietary platforms?
Examples?  What is F(L)OSS?  A joke on FOSS (free/open-source software)
or something more meaningful?

I'm running a FOSS system (Debian GNU/Linux) on a Dell computer.  In
your mind is this FOSS for proprietary platforms?  The Dell certainly
has proprietary components on it.  (Though I'm not exactly sure.  I know
that the openness of BIOS is an issue these days.)

> I don't know whether or not this is the case for any
> Mathcad/Mathematica replacements, but I really don't think you do
> either.
I don't understand what you are talking about.  Assuming I'm running a
system with the tools that make GNU Octave possible, I'm just curious if
there is a FOSS Mathcad/Mathematica replacement; as Octave can be
considered a replacement to MATLAB.  So, I don't know what you are
talking about with this ``F(L)OSS proprietary platform
Mathcad/Mathematica replacement.''

I'm all ears, and willing to learn.

> ... but I concluded that it was purely a product of your own
> assumptions, which I believe to be wrong.
OK, maybe I'm making poor assumptions; any ideas what they could be?

In my simple mind, I think that I'm being clear.

Steve