Re: plot with vectors

From: Hamish Allan
Subject: Re: plot with vectors
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:02:19 +0100

On Apr 22, 2005, at 19:46, John W. Eaton wrote:

I'm guessing you are not using 2.1.69 or the 2.9.x series, because
those versions would tell you that gplot is obsolete.

You're quite right. Unfortunately I couldn't get 2.9.1 to compile out of the box on OS X, and I don't have time right now to play with it. If Jeffrey Whitaker is reading, it'd be lovely to see a newer version than 2.1.64-2 in Fink unstable.

In 2.9.x, you can use

  __gnuplot_plot__ a with vector

because the plot command is only subject to minimal parsing (to
recognize the data comes from "a") and then the rest of the command is
passed on to gnuplot unchanged.

I guess that's what I'm going to end up doing anyway... just writing the results out to a file and then reading them into Gnuplot.

In the 2.1.x and earlier versions of Octave, gplot did a lot more
parsing, so adding support for things like "with vector" meant
changing the parser, which was a lot of work that no one was willing
to do.  Also, since gnuplot is a moving target, even if someone were
willing to do the work, Octave was likely to be out of sync with
gnuplot most of the time anyway.

Very understandable.

In any case, even the new __gnuplot_*__ functions are really only for
use as internal commands.  If you need vector plots, you should write
a higher-level plot routine that does what you need.  If the
higher-level function needs to use __gnuplot_plot__, then at least it
is isolated to one function.

Right you are.

Best wishes,
Hamish