Re: octave tutorial

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: octave tutorial
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:22:04 -0700

Brian,

This is a topic I want to learn more about as well...

I just found that the GPL shouldn't be used for text:

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyNotGPLForManuals

The GNU Free Documentation License is better suited:

  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

First paragraph of the GNU FDL preamble:

  The purpose of this License is to make a manual, textbook, or other
  functional and useful document "free" in the sense of freedom: to
  assure everyone the effective freedom to copy and redistribute it,
  with or without modifying it, either commercially or noncommercially.
  Secondarily, this License preserves for the author and publisher a way
  to get credit for their work, while not being considered responsible
  for modifications made by others.

This looks like a good way to license your manual.

Steve