Re: Greased Lightning: ATLAS

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Greased Lightning: ATLAS
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:40:10 -0700

SSE2

I removed atlas3-base-dev but not atlas3-base (since some of my
programs depend on it) and I kept atlas3-headers. I then installed
atlas3-sse2 and atlas3-sse2-dev. (I'm running debian.)

When I run "./configure --enable-shared --disable-static" I get "BLAS
libraries: -lblas". So atlas is not being picked up when I use sse2
(but it is when I use atlas3).

DOES OCTAVE KNOW?

>From your replies it sounds like I have to get configure right and get
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH right. Does Octave itself know whether it is using
atlas? Would it be hard to write a function that returned this sort of
information so a user could enter, say, 'configuration' at the Octave
prompt to find out whether or not Octave is using things like atlas?

BENCH

Another check would be to run a benchmark. A bench function would be
useful, if only to make you feel good about all the work you did to
get atlas working or to feel good about your new computer.

You can create your own but it is much easier if it is part of Octave.

I see no reason to use the same bench as matlab. But I would use the
same interface (input and output format) as matlab.