Re: popularizing Octave (was "windows version of Octave")

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: popularizing Octave (was "windows version of Octave")
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:31:42 -0500

Doug Stewart wrote:

I realize that while the cygwin setup procedure, while straightforward, requires more "clicks" than many Windows users are accustomed to. However,

As a windows person and a prof who expects his students to use Octave I would like a windows version where the user(student) does not even know about cygwin. We need a version that you click a button to install, then you click a button to run, and then you learn and use Octave. Andy Adler's 2.1.42 is like what I want

I see that some want a cygwin environment and the ability to do modifications etc.

maybe we need two different windows versions
1) for those that want to play with cygwin.
2) for those that want octave as a tool to get their work done.

Since cygwin is a part of any installation of octave on windows (it's just a question of how transparent that is to the user), I think the solution to this is to first solve problem (1), and then write some self-installer script that wraps around the resulting cygwin setup to create the solution for problem (2). This could be done by two separate individuals or groups. If the cygwin octave binaries are kept up to date, the maintainer of a one-click self-installer would be able to update the installer regularly as well. I guess what I'm getting at is that maintaining a simple installer package for windows in the long term requires a maintained cygwin package first.

-Quentin