Re: Octave on Mac

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave on Mac
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:17:47 -0400

On May 13, 2005, at 12:43 AM, A Scotte Hodel wrote:

octave-forge installation on Mac requires a couple of steps on my machine:

The "magic" was waiting for me in the fink install files for octave-forge.

Three things to do:
(1) set SH_LDFLAGS to -lhdf5 when making octave forge.

I'm surprised by this. Doesn't mkoctfile include -lhdf5 if it is needed? Which things break and how?

(2) patch /extra/MacOSX/Makefile :
-sndplay: OFSndPLay.cc
+sndplay: OFSndPlay.cc
        mkdir -p bin
-       CC -ObjC -o bin/ofsndplay OFSndPLay.cc -framework Cocoa
+       cc -ObjC -o bin/ofsndplay OFSndPlay.cc -framework Cocoa

The current CVS uses $(CC), which should expand to gcc. Can you please check what it is for your version?

(3) Patch main/image/pngread.cc (This is where I got the error from png.h) Apparently the order of octave/oct.h and png.h make a difference in the compile

-#include <octave/oct.h>
 #include "png.h"
-
+#include <octave/oct.h>
+
 typedef struct
  {
         int width;

Not true on my 10.3 box, but maybe I have a different version of libpng (1.215) or Octave (2.1.69).

No matter.  I will use the following since it doesn't hurt anything:

        #include <png.h>
        #include <octave/oct.h>

- Paul