More save/load questions

From: SITI HAJAR A BAKAR
Subject: More save/load questions
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:21:59 +1000

Hi all,
Just been going through all the mailing list questions on loading and
saving in Octave. I'm running Octave 2.1.70 via Cygwin from X11 on
Windows. AM afraid have confused myself, and would appreciate some
clarification on the following

1) If I were to create a variable u=randn(1,20). Setting
default_save_format='-text' or default_save_format='text'. I tried to
save this data to a text file for example

save u, does not work. save 'u.txt' or any other variation in between
did not work.

Only when I created an empty .txt file named 'u' and saved it in my
workpath and then

save (file_in_loadpath('u.txt'))   worked. If not I get

error: save : couldnt open output file 'u.txt' . Any explanations for
this?

2) Upon loading the above saved file u.txt , load (file_in_loadpath
('u.txt'))
I get a bunch of errors which it wont read. Now correct me if I'm
wrong, but my file lacks some headers which Octave requires to read the
file. Is that so?

3) I achieve what i want by setting  default_save_format='-binary'
I then create an empty file named 'u'. Then save the data I want to
save to 'u.txt' and the only did it read it back.

4) I'm trying to maintain a toolbox which would run on MATLAB and
Octave. WOuld there be any disadvantages to setting the
default_save_format to "binary" ??

Thanks guys!