Re: statistics distributions function names

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: statistics distributions function names
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:34:40 -0400

On  1-Jul-2005, Ben Barrowes wrote:

| Following the example of is_bool.m in the scripts/deprecated directory,
| weibrnd.m would hold the weibull_rnd.m code:

To make changes like this easier to apply and also to be able to see
exactly what changes have been made to the original code, I think it
would help to submit patches that assume the original code has been
renamed.  For example, you would create a patch by doing

  cd to top level scripts directory

  mv statistics/distributions/weibull_rnd.m statistics/distributions/weibrnd.m

  cp statistics/distributions/weibrnd.m statistics/distributions/weibrnd.m.orig

  edit weibrnd.m to change the help text, usage message, function name, etc.

  create the new scripts/deprecated/weibull_rnd.m

  echo "mv statistics/distributions/weibull_rnd.m
statistics/distributions/weibrnd.m" > diffs

  diff -u statistics/distributions/weibrnd.m.orig
statistics/distributions/weibrnd.m >> diffs

  diff -u /dev/null deprecated/weibull_rnd.m >> diffs

then send the diffs file to the address@hidden list.  Then mv command
won't be executed automatically when applying the patch, but it will
be easy to have it at the head of the diffs so it can be cut and
pasted before running patch.

Please send patches like this to the bug list, not the help list.

Thanks,

jwe