importing a matrix from stdout of another program

From: Mike Miller
Subject: importing a matrix from stdout of another program
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:42:21 -0500 (CDT)

I have a perl program that will produce a matrix in its standard output. I want to be able to bring that matrix into Octave directly, if possible. The command syntax is like this:

seqped.pl infile

The program reads in a data file and sends a matrix to stdout. It would be nice to have an Octave function (called 'seqped') that could call that perl script and read in the matrix like this:

X = seqped(infile) ;

Is it possible to do that without writing a temp file and reading the matrix from the temp file? That would be my preference, but if a temp file must be used, what's a good way of writing that?

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor