cd: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

From: Pascal A. Dupuis
Subject: cd: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:46:37 -0500

It seems it's an old problem, but it stills bite me (see
http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/bug-octave.2000/msg00334.html)

~/matlab is a symbolic link: matlab -> .secure/matlab
.secure is a mount point for a encrypted partition
my ~/.octaverc contains: cd ~/matlab;

typical session: M-x run-octave
octave> pwd
/users/pdupuis/matlab
octave> cd somedir
cd: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable
octave> cd; pwd
/users/pdupuis/
octave> cd matlab/somedir
octave>

I got it on two machines, emacs21.4, one debian etch, one Red Hat
Enterprise Linux  release 4. It looks like 'cd' must  first be called
once without argument to work correctly afterwads. For instance, the
following still does not work: "cd ..; cd matlab/subdir" altough the
'trajectory' is the same. And I don't use CDPATH

Any clue ?

TIA

Pascal Dupuis

--