Re: Installation Problems

From: Paul Probert
Subject: Re: Installation Problems
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:48:01 -0500

Mike Miller wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Paul Probert wrote:

Try starting an x terminal first by typing "startx" into the cygwin command window before starting octave. Then, start octave in that x terminal. Then you should be able to do your plots.

I have been using startxwin.sh in multiwindows mode. I think it works great. In fact, I have my system start it automatically when Cygwin starts. To do this, just put this at the end of your ~/.bash_profile:

if [ "$TERM" = "cygwin" ]; then
  /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh
fi

If you don't have a ~/.bash_profile file, do this:

cp /etc/skel/.bash_profile ~

I also have Cygwin start automatically when Windows starts. To do this I put a link to C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat in the startup folder under Programs in my Start Menu (just copy your cygwin desktop icon into that directory).

By default, this will give you an xterm, but you can edit /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh so that it starts something else instead. I actually like rxvt better than xterm, so I have it start rxvt (almost every line of the script is a comment so it's pretty easy to find the key line - it's the one that begins with 'xterm'. If you wanted Octave to start when Cygwin starts, you could add a line to startxwin.sh that looks like this:

xterm -e octave &

That would give you a second xterm window with Octave running in it.

Obviously, you have to have X installed for startxwin.sh and gnuplot to work!

Mike

Mike,
  That is very nice, thank you.
Paul Probert