Re: google groups and Usenet

From: kooto (sent by Nabble.com)
Subject: Re: google groups and Usenet
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:26:03 -0700 (PDT)

Besides Google Group and Gmane, there is another alternative: Nabble.com - check out: http://www.nabble.com/Octave-f1895.html - like Gmane, it's a third-party archive/forum of Octave lists.

A lot of users prefer using emails and therefore mailing list is the way to go. But then there are users who prefer a web forum interface which avoids clogging their email box. Google, Gmane, and Nabble can all function as a forum-to-list bridge, meaning users who prefer web interface can use the web forum, while die-hard mailing list users can stay the way they want, and web and email will be in synch.

All three are free. With Google, there are ads. Gmane is ad-free. Nabble is ad-free.

I suggest Nabble because I am a member of the Nabble project. One of the reason we created Nabble is because we all subscribe to a lot of technical lists and it clutters email box and we find it difficult to search them.

Take Octave project for example, there are 6 lists, with Nabble, you can browse and search the 6 lists at the same place. You can also narrow your search to each list and narrow by author.  This is better than Google and Gmane, because with Google and Gmane you still have to browse and search 6 lists on at a time.

Nabble started archiving Octave lists a few months ago, so there may not be a significant amount of data. But still, you can browse it to keep updated to the latest stuff.

Hope this helps.

Robert A. Macy wrote:
Google's "user interface" does not work well for me.

I've never had a known problem with octave group.

What interface are you referring to?

               - Robert -

Sent from the Octave - General forum at Nabble.com.