Re: MPI octave with hyperthreading?

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: MPI octave with hyperthreading?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

   I have a hyper threading Intel CPU. Linux treats it as a 2 processor smp
   machine. Will I gain anything by using MPI octave to run 2 things in
parallel ?

Interesting question---the way hyperthreading works is that there are two sets
of
working registers in the CPU, and when the CPU is stalled, for instance with an
out-of-cache memory access, or a TLB reload, it switches to another task that
would
presumably have its data in the cache already. So, yes, running multiple threads
does make sense in such situation, but it won't buy you as much as when you had
real honest two CPUs.