How to use debugging tools

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: How to use debugging tools
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:34:36 -0400

On 19-Sep-2005, Colin Ingram wrote:

| I have problems using the debugging tools (dbstop, dbg_next etc)
|
| octave:1> debug_on_warning = 1
| debug_on_warning = 1
| octave:2> tiffread("2005.08.24-12-1-4.tiff")
| warning: in /share/colin/Work/programs/frapfitter/trunk/lib/tiffread.m
| near line 137, column 9:
| warning: tiffread:assignIFDentry: some elements in list of return values
| are undefined
| keyboard: stopped in
| /share/colin/Work/programs/frapfitter/trunk/lib/tiffread.m at line 137
| debug> dbwhere
| error: dbwhere: must be inside of a user function to use dbwhere
| debug> dbstop("tiffread.m","142")
| error: dbstop: unable to find the function requested
| debug> dbstop("tiffread","142")
| panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
| error: octave_base_value::save_binary(): wrong type argument `file'
| save to `octave-core' complete
| Segmentation fault
| address@hidden:~/frapfitter/trunk/lib$

What version of Octave are you using?  On what kind of system?

I'm unable to crash my copy of Octave with similar commands on an
arbitrary function (I don't have tiffread).

If you think you have found a bug in Octave (and it seems that you
have, since you've manage to cause Octave to crash with a segfault),
please submit a complete bug report to the address@hidden list.  If
you are not sure what to include in your message so that the problem
might be fixed, then please read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html
before sending your report.

Thanks,

jwe