Re: SUSE 9.0 Enterprise 64-bit and Octave installation with Readline 5

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: SUSE 9.0 Enterprise 64-bit and Octave installation with Readline 5
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:05:35 -0500

Richard Flurey wrote:

Hi folks,
I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice with regards to installing Octave on a SUSE 9.0 Enterprise 64-bit linux installation. I am fairly new to all this and am a bit of a beginner when it comes to linux but I have been given the task of administrating an IBM xseries cluster. Each node has AMD Opteron processors and I am wondering how I am able to get a working 64 version of Octave. I have tried several different RPMS and forcefully installed Readline 5 over the default 4.3 but most of them produce a 'Segmentation error' when i attempt to run octave. The only thing that works is the mkoctfile for compiling the .cc source files. However, when I installed octave-2.1.55-19.i586.rpm the octave command line ran successfully but I was unable to compile any .cc files because it specified that the architecture was wrong. I've hunted everywhere on google for ideas and so far nothing I've tried has worked. Has anyone had experience with this and know exactly how I might fix this? The only thing I haven't tried is rebuilding entire libraries on the system so that I can upgrade GCC, glibc etc but I'd really like to avoid that if possible..

Why rebuild entire libraries when you can rebuild octave? This problem seems to come up frequently as people try to install RPMS from one system on another. This will work in some cases where the libraries and compilers are the same, but in many (maybe even most) cases they are not, and small ABI differences can render a foreign-compiled RPM useless and produce the segmentation faults that you are seeing. I would suggest building your own octave RPM from the SRPM. Octave has been successfully compiled on the x86_64 version of Fedora Core 4, so I see no reason why it won't work on your system if compiled from source. The Fedora SRPM may have Fedora-specific things in it, so I would suggest using an SRPM written for SuSE try rebuilding using "rpmbuild --rebuild" and see how well that works.

I thought Octave was included in most of the major distributions, so I'm surprised yours doesn't come with Octave available--are you sure it isn't? From reading this mailing list lately, it seems that the so-called "enterprise" (read expensive) Linux distributions have the worst octave support. I would suggest to everyone having these kind of problems to complain loudly to their Linux distributors.

-Quentin