Re: pslatex terminal output--Problem identified.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: pslatex terminal output--Problem identified.
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:52:27 -0400

On  2-Oct-2005, Ethan A Merritt wrote:

| On Sunday 02 October 2005 12:02 pm, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
| > One example is when one does "set term post eps" and later
| > "set term pslatex". Since the "eps" option is sticky it messes up the
| > pslatex terminal...
|
| Are you sure?  That would indeed be a bug.
| But it doesn't seem to be the case here when I try it.
| I get identical output from the pslatex terminal whether or not
| a previous plot has used "set term post eps".  If you can
| reproduce your problem, please send a bug report and a script
| that demonstrates the problem.
|
| gnuplot> set term post eps
| Terminal type set to 'postscript'
| Options are 'eps noenhanced defaultplex \
|    leveldefault monochrome colortext \
|    dashed dashlength 1.0 linewidth 1.0 butt \
|    palfuncparam 2000,0.003 \
|    "Helvetica" 14 '
| gnuplot> set term pslatex
| Terminal type set to 'pslatex'
| Options are 'rotate   leveldefault monochrome colortext \
|    dashed dashlength 1.0 linewidth 1.0 butt \
|    palfuncparam 2000,0.003 \
|    rotate noauxfile '

Try

  plot sin(x) title "line 1"
  set term postscript eps enhanced color solid
  set output "foo.eps"
  replot
  set term pslatex
  set output "foo.tex"
  replot
  quit

With gnuplot 4.0 patchlevel 0, then include the resulting foo.tex file
in a simple document like

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{graphicx}
  \begin{document}
  \input{foo}
  \end{document}

and process with latex and dvips.  The final output has the axes and
labels (the stuff in the TeX part of the figure) correctly rendered,
but the PS part is 1/4 the proper size, and displayed in the lower
left corner of the TeX part.

I can't seem to reproduce the problem with a recent CVS version so
that's good.

But the problem with sticky terminal options remains.  For
non-interactive use by programs like Octave, it would be very helpful
if there were some way to push and pop all settings, not just some of
them.  That way, the application that is driving gnuplot does not have
to keep track of the complete history of all option settings when
making a temporary change.

Another thing that would be very useful would be a way to query
individual settings.  Parsing text output would be OK, provided that
it is easy to do that (i.e., the output is structured in some way, not
some natural language thing) and the format does not change.

jwe