MATLAB / Octave compatability, spacing, parsing

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: MATLAB / Octave compatability, spacing, parsing
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:29:15 -0700

Hello group,

In my collaboration with MATLAB users, they've complained
about some parsing issues.  Specifically, spaces.  For
example, I write my programs like

  this = that (with, some, parms);

but I think that MATLAB generally wants

  this = that(with, some, parms);

Then,

  a = b ';

works in Octave but MATLAB requires

  a = b';

I don't have MATLAB installed so it is hard for me to verify
these subtleties.  I've unsuccessfully found anything on the
internet.  Do any of you know of a resource that could be
helpful?  Any general guidelines?

Thanks,
Steve