Octave PDE initial value problem solvers

From: Neil.Francis
Subject: Octave PDE initial value problem solvers
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:31:41 +0800

Hello,

I need to put together a model that describes how moisture and salts
move through a layer of unsaturated mud as it dries (by evaporation off
the top, and by drainage out the bottom).  I'll start by trying to get a
moisture transport model working, then will worry about coupling the
salt equation.  At some point I'll also need to concern myself with
volume changes as the mud dries out.  I'm going to start by trying to
numerically solve the "Richards Equation", which is a nonlinear
parabolic equation.  The usual way to solve this seems to be to use a
Galerkin-type finite element scheme - something I need to read up on.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody knows of publicly available Octave code
that might be useful to me?  I'll only be working on a 1D model.

As somebody who used to use Matlab (though in signal processing and
control, not for solving equations) at uni, I've decided that using
Octave should get me started faster then trying to use C++ or Delphi...

Thanks,
Neil