Re: intralingua

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: intralingua
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:45:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

> [off topic]
>
> Wouldn't it be lovely if all the functionality of R, Octave and Python
> were available using familiar syntax.  Throw in Perl for string
> manipulation and Tk for GUI.

That would be lovely.

> If we retarget all of these packages to mono (or parrot if it's not
> dead yet) it will be faster than rewriting them in Octave.  I see that
> Python and Tcl are already started:
>
>       http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

Some questions here:

 - How easy is it to convert C++ to C#? Or can the mono framework
    handle C++?
 - Why would the mono framework make it easier to integrate
     the languages features?
 - Wouldn't it be better to try to build something like Perl's
     Inline function for each language:

Here's what I'd like to write

# octave -q --eval \
   'files = {PERLCODE: sort { lc($a) cmp lc($b) } map { s/^logfile-// } @ARGV
};' \
   'printf("result = %f+/-%f", do_stats_on_files(files) ); ' \
   logfile-*.log

Is this your idea?

--
Andy Adler <address@hidden> 1(613)562-5800x6218