Re: How to suppress unneeded output while using "save"

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: How to suppress unneeded output while using "save"
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:37:48 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Robert A. Macy wrote:

Assuming you saved the variable like this...

save -ascii "variable.txt" variable;

I then use notepad, open the file, block the header, and delete it. Then save, and done.

...youse guys can stop laughing now.

I am glad you were joking! Try doing that with 10,000 output files. After the first 1,243 you probably get pretty good at it.

More seriously, about 12 years ago I used to do that kind of thing on a pentium PC using macros in WordPerfect 5.1. It really was kinda neat. It could open a directory, take one file at a time, edit it (sometimes in very sophisticated ways), save it elsewhere, delete the original, go to the next file in the directory and repeat until done.

Now I use perl and I'm much, much happier.

Mike