Re: cygwin g++ version story?

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: cygwin g++ version story?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:23:56 -0800 (PST)

--- Brian Blais wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could someone tell me why the octave package for cygwin is compiled with
> 3.3.3, when
> a later version exists?  Is this because of the slowdown reported with 3.4,
> due to
> how jump conditions are handled?  The reason I ask is that I believe I can
> get my
> fltk package working in cygwin, but dealing with 3.3.3 is annoying, because
> everytime
> I have to add a new package, cygwin tries to upgrade me.  The fltk package
> that comes
> with cygwin is compiled with 3.4, so I have to compile my own fltk.  As far
> as
> end-users, this puts another barrier to the use of octave in Windows.
>

>               thanks,
>

>                       Brian Blais
>
> --

You might want to look at some address@hidden discussion threads.  Currently
enlightening threads exist there as well.

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00051.html

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00064.html

The bottom line is that the 3.4.4 compiler is simply not capable of producing a
working version of octave.  Further complaints about this might be more
usefully directed to the address@hidden mailing list.  The gcc maintainer is
Gerritt Haase, and he does post in the second thread I listed here.

Without wishing to appear irritable, I must point out that you too can search
the mailing lists, rather than plaintively call out for someone to do that for
you.

jrp