Re: Easy tutorial on how to make 3-dimensional graphics

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Easy tutorial on how to make 3-dimensional graphics
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:29:30 -0600

Tetsuji "Maverick" Rai wrote:

Thank you for your help...

I'm a newbie on octave.

Now I've begun writing a small function to make a 3-d plot, but I'm
stuck at linspace(,,).  Following function fails like

octave:2> h100(1)
error: linspace: npoints is 1, but x1 != x2
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 6, column 9
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 6, column 5
error: called from `h100' in file
`/home/tetsuji/physics/hydrogen-atom/h100.m'

- ----h100.m----
function h100(dn)

 a0 = 1;
 n = 1;

 x = z = linspace (-10, 10, dn);
 [xx, zz] = meshgrid (x,z);
 [theta,r] = cart2pol (zz,xx);

 r1 = 1 ./(n*a0);
 y = r1 .^1.5 * exp(-r1*r);
 y = y*y ./ pi;

 mesh(x,z,y);
endfunction
- ---------------

The last argument to the linspace function must be >1. Type help linspace to learn why.

Apparently x and z has a problem (I think I just borrowed this line from
sombrero(n)).  I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what's
wrong..  Looking at sombrero(n), I see a single quote after
linspace(-8,8,n) and a period before slash '/' or hat '^'..... What are
they??  As for math, C++ is much easier to me... very unusual :(

In octave, a*b represents a matrix multiplication of matrices a and b (which requires that they have the correct dimensions). That is different than element-wise multiplication of a and b, so that is represented with the symbol ".*". Since the operators / and ^ also have special meanings for matrix operations, if you want to divide all of the elements in one vector or matrix by all of the elements in another of the same dimensions, you use "./"; the same is true for exponents and the ".^" operator. The single quote represents the transpose of a matrix.

In above function, x and z axes are on the horizontal plane, and y axis
stands vertically.

So are there any good online tutorial for octave (not document on
www.octave.org)?

Maybe, but I don't know where. Maybe someone else can respond with suggestions.

-Quentin