Re: Installation of Octave on Windows

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Installation of Octave on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:19:07 -0800

It is my understanding that making such a binary is not a
trivial act.

I have not yet upgraded beyond 2.1.50a because, it is my
understanding that as octave upgraded and improved the
relationship with gnuplot changed.  I rely on gnuplot's
plotting functions very heavily and changes there would
possibly require too much effort for me to fix, or adjust
to.  There is always the possibility that I may not get
back to what I now have. I haven't figured out yet whether
the changes in order to upgrade are trivial.  Thus, I
haven't upgraded yet.

Octave is a tool for my work and it took a lot of time to
discover all the quirks and "work arounds" of what I now
have, so unless upgrading is as smooth as the 2.1.50a
binary, I can't really afford to interrupt my work for the
sake of having the most "up to date" tool, just because
it's the most up to date tool.  There has to be real value
added for me to want to abandon what is working so well.  I
do know that octave now has multiple indexed arrays, which
could prove very useful.  But quite frankly, I haven't
mastered the two index form yet.  Still have too many
for-loops.

Years ago a version of Matlab was given to me, I installed
the resource hog and floundered around, off and on over a
period of a year, finally giving up and removing it from
the system.  The whole package complete with manuals sits
in archives now.  Then along came octave and 2.1.50a and
wow!  For some unknown reason it was more intuitive than
Matlab was, although it's supposed to be extremely "like"
Matlab.  Perhaps, Matlab's GUI was too "easy" and I was
used to command line work, don't know.  But now that I have
everything working smoothly, I just can't justify
upgrading.

And finally, I run octave on Windows 98SE and that god
awful Windows XP.  I really appreciate the way 2.1.50a is
simple, easy to install, remove, reinstall.  It doesn't
take a lot of resources and doesn't insinuate itself
throughout my OS.  Octave is just there, and works.

So the thought of upgrading by installing this, and that,
and upon reading all the messages going back and forth
between the truly competent experts in this group about
problems they have installing scares me from venturing into
such an unknown [for me] area.

But soon as our firm migrates to Linux based, and
everything changes anyway, I'll probably go for the updated
version.

Did you find a copy of the 2.1.50a version?

           - Robert -