licensing question

From: Michael Creel
Subject: licensing question
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:29:36 +0000

Any lawyers out there? Someone has asked me about using some code in o-f with Matlab

"Dear Professor,
I would appreciate the following codes in matlab langage:
bfgsmin,bisectionstep,celleval,finitedifference,lbfgsmin,newtonstep,numgradient,samin
With my Thanks kindly. "

I will advise him that this won't work directly, but these files are also copyrighted GPL. What are the restrictions to using modified versions compiled with MATLAB? I believe it's ok for personal use, but not for any form of distribution. Is that correct? Thanks, M.