Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: What should be the extension of octave files?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:31:26 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

I provided the above case just as an example. But everyone is picking out on the example rather than on my actual question. May be it is in the way I phrased the question.

Is there any separate extension that should be given to octave files which are incompatible with matlab files?

It makes sense to have a .m extension if the octave file is compatible with matlab. But if it is incompatible what is the point of having a .m extension? We might as well have a octave specific extension say .oct indicating outright that the file is incompatible with matlab.

.oct is actually for compiled Octave functions. There is no different, octave specific, extension. I think that it would just add to confusion since they are mostly compatible, and the incompatibilities run both ways.

Bill

--
"Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert A. Heinlein