Re: Octave in Universities

From: kamaraju kusumanchi
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:02:21 -0500

Guillem Borrell Nogueras wrote:

When I ask some feedback about Octave the complaints are always the same (the well known weaknesses of Octave) - No GUI (They are *not* used to the command line so they try to avoid it as much as possible)
Have you tried octave with texmacs? texmacs provides a reasonable GUI for many that lack it (maxima, gnuplot, octave to name a few)!

I personally use matlab because of compatibility issues. Code developed under octave is not completely compatible with matlab. Matlab compatibility is important as other people on the project are not comfortable with octave or linux etc., So to make the collaboration as easy as easy as possible, I settled on using matlab.

But for personal purposes, I use octave.

I would like to see a -matlab-compatible flag in octave. So that octave behaves exactly like matlab when this flag is used.

regards
raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar