GUI vs. CLI

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: GUI vs. CLI
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:01:49 -0800

I'm sorry, I've been out of town for a couple of days and missed a lot of the GUI vs. CLI discussion, so if I say anything irrelevant and old I apologize.

My main question is what users mean when they say GUI? It seems to me like most everything done in either Matlab or Octave is done by command line. I like the window docking in Matlab - I like to set up Matlab so that I have a panel featuring my command window, a panel with my editor, and a panel for plots. That way I don't have to go searching around looking for any plots after I run a function. But it's not too hard to set up Octave so that the plot is in a small enough window that it doesn't cover the command window, and my experience is that the command window is inactive once you start editing a function (if I'm wrong on this I'd love to know - when I type 'edit xxxx' then I can't do anything in my command window until I close out of emacs).

This doesn't seem like a GUI to me, though. Do people just want a print button on plots? Sure it would be nice but it's not too tough to use the print command. If I can do it, anyone can. Anyway, my two cents...

-Ron Crummett