Re: HPC has octave-2.1.73 for Mac

From: Andreas Schwarz
Subject: Re: HPC has octave-2.1.73 for Mac
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:08:39 +0200

Hi,

thanks for the OS X binaries. Would it be possible to use the prefix
/usr/local/octave instead of /usr/local next time?

Andreas

Gaurav Khanna schrieb:

> Hi
>
> I just updated the link to on the HPC site for the gnuplot binary.
> Thanks for telling me about the dead link ..
>
> Best
> Gaurav
>
> On Mar 31, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Joe Koski wrote:
>
>> Henry,
>>
>> 1) Octave and octave-forge distribute files into several /usr/local
>> locations including /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share,
>> etc.
>> etc. You just happened to be looking at one of them. If octave works
>> correctly, you have a good installation.
>>
>> 2) My preference for the latest gnuplot-4.0 .dmg is
>>
>>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2055
>>
>> scroll down the page, and the first item is a .dmg installer that was put
>> together by Per Persson.
>>
>> Joe
>>

>> on 3/31/06 2:29 PM, Henry F. Mollet at address@hidden wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed that looked easy but I have two small problems.
>>> 1. Why do I get installation in usr/local/lib (see below). My Finder
>>> window
>>> was at /usr/local/lib because I wanted to be able to see what happened
>>> during installation. Installation was so fast there was no time to
>>> switch
>>> from terminal window to Finder window. lib was the only folder in
>>> /usr/local
>>> and I had selected it. For no reason but apparently a mistake.
>>>
>>> Last login: Fri Mar 31 12:26:35 on console
>>> Welcome to Darwin!
>>> henry-mollets-imac:~ hfm$ pwd
>>> /Users/hfm
>>> henry-mollets-imac:~ hfm$ ls
>>> Desktop         Library         Music           Public
>>> Documents       Movies          Pictures        Sites
>>> henry-mollets-imac:~ hfm$ cd Desktop
>>> henry-mollets-imac:~/Desktop hfm$ ls
>>> octave-2.9.4.tar        octave-bin.tar
>>> henry-mollets-imac:~/Desktop hfm$ sudo tar -xvf
>>> octave-bin.tar -C /
>>>
>>> CUT
>>> Password:
>>> usr/local/
>>> CUT
>>> usr/local/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc
>>>
>>> henry-mollets-imac:~/Desktop hfm$ cd /usr/local
>>> henry-mollets-imac:/usr/local hfm$ ls
>>> bin     include info    lib     libexec man     share
>>> henry-mollets-imac:/usr/local hfm$ cd lib
>>> henry-mollets-imac:/usr/local/lib hfm$ ls
>>> gcc                     libg2c.a
>>> libgcc_s.dylib
>>> libfrtbegin.a           libg2c.dylib
>>> libiberty.a
>>> libg2c.0.0.0.dylib      libg2c.la
>>> libreadline.a
>>> libg2c.0.dylib          libgcc_s.1.0.dylib