Upgrade from 2.1.50 to 2.1.73 breaks code on Windows?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Upgrade from 2.1.50 to 2.1.73 breaks code on Windows?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:46:43 -0400

On 16-Apr-2006, David Smith wrote:

| I recently updated from Octave 2.1.50 to 2.1.73 on my Windows-XP
| computer.  This is using the Windows binary install in both cases.  But
| some of my code now doesn't work with 2.1.73 - for a minor reason which
| I will now illustrate:
|
| If I place the following in a file named "testdata.m":
|
| x = [
| 1 2
| 3 4
| ];
|
| and try to execute "testdata" from the command line, it works in version
| 2.1.50 but not in 2.1.73.  For version 2.1.73 it produces these messages:
|
|   syntax error
|
|  >>> 1 2 3
|     ^
|
| parse error near line 3 of file
| /cygdrive/c/home/davids/projects/TRP_bench/SamHammondsCablePull/testdata.m
|
|   syntax error
|
|  >>> 1 2 3
|         ^

I think this is probably happening because your file has CRLF line
endings.  Octave does try to handle CRLF in most situations.  I guess
we missed this one (ideally, applications like Octave should not have
to deal with different types of line endings at all, but that seems to
be too much to hope for).

BTW, this is not the best method to use for loading data.  You might
want to consider using save and load instead.

jwe