Re: imaginary unit

From: Javier Arantegui
Subject: Re: imaginary unit
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:11:22 +0200

Hi,

El Miércoles, 26 de Abril de 2006 20:33, Przemek Klosowski escribió:
> e^(i*pi) is the natural way of calculating vectors in complex
> plane. It failed for me, though, and I realized that I used the
> variable 'i' as a loop index, overwriting its original value of an
> imaginary unit vector, which octave assigns on startup to i,I, j,J.

In Maxima:

(%i1) sqrt(-1);
(%o1)                                 %i

Thus, there is no problem if you use the variable "i". But, you can assign a
new value to "%i":

(%i2) %i:2;

(%o2)                                  2
(%i3) %i^2;

(%o3)                                  4

Maybe this is not the best solution, but you just must remember to not use %
variables.

Probably because the Matlab compatibility thing this approach cannot be
adopted.

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax  +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es