Re: Goto BLAS source code now available

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Goto BLAS source code now available
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 08:45:57 -0500

David Bateman wrote:
Fredrik Lingvall wrote:
David Bateman wrote:
The exclusion from distributing binaries is also still in place and so
only the user can install goto blas, which is a major limitation on
its usefulness even for academics.
I just compiled the lib and the build process is rather easy (just edit
a config file to select which features to enable and then do a make),
so I don't think that it is a 'major limitation'. It took about 5 min.

/F
Its not the build that is the problem it is the statement

# Do not redistribute the library.
# Point others to this web page instead.
# Reference this work when you use it successfully for your own research.

on the page http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/~kgoto/ that prevents any packaging of goto blas binaries for any purpose.. This condition hasn't changed with the source code release.

Yes, I looked at this a few weeks ago and was also disappointed in the new licensing conditions, since I happen to fall on the "incorrect" side of this arbitrary distinction made between those who work in academia and industry. I don't know if the licensing terms are decided by Goto or the department he works for, but I get the impression that he's very concerned about taking credit for his work. I think the overly restrictive terms work against him, though. If his stuff is really as good as it claims, it would be used by everyone if it were available under better licensing terms, and everyone would know his name.

-Quentin