Re: Octave not working, cygwin.

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: Octave not working, cygwin.
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:21:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Rogerson wrote:

> I assume that this is a known problem, but I find the achieves very difficult
> search, so apologies in advance.
>
> I have had cygwin on my PC for some time and just tried to download
> octave/octave-forge through the cygwin install thing. This seemed to go well,
> except that at the shell prompt, if I type "octave", it appears to close
> immediately and returns to the command prompt without  given any messages.
> The
> same applies with "octave -v".
>
> I have used octave before on an a different PC without problem and also using
> it
> on a Linux(Fedora) box without problem. On a different PC, it works ok, but
> plot
> again silently fails, ie it returns, but no plot is shown.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Steve
> --
> Forest of Dean

The known problem is with getting plots; but it isn't really a problem.  It is
just that you have to have an X server running to get plots from gnuplot.
Please follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/octave-2.1.73.README.

As for octave not starting, you haven't provided much information to go on.
Please be sure you are logged into cygwin as a user, and you are sitting at a
bash prompt before you issue the octave command.  If this doesn't help, what
does the command "which octave" at the bash prompt produce?  It should output
"/usr/bin/octave".  If it doesn't, it is likely your install did not complete
properly; use cygwin's setup.exe program to remove and reinstall octave.

Jim Phillips