Re: Octave not working, cygwin.

From: Stephen Rogerson
Subject: Re: Octave not working, cygwin.
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:08:13 +0100

[sent this ages ago - just noticed I sent it to wrong place :-( ]

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:21:54 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>The known problem is with getting plots; but it isn't really a problem.  It is
>just that you have to have an X server running to get plots from gnuplot.
>Please follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/octave-2.1.73.README.

Ah!  RTFM -  it helps if you know where it is. Thanks Jim this works just fine.

>As for octave not starting, you haven't provided much information to go on.
>Please be sure you are logged into cygwin as a user, and you are sitting at a
>bash prompt before you issue the octave command.  If this doesn't help, what
>does the command "which octave" at the bash prompt produce?  It should output
>"/usr/bin/octave".  If it doesn't, it is likely your install did not complete
>properly; use cygwin's setup.exe program to remove and reinstall octave.

The only odd thing is that when cygwin starts, it does not take me to my home
directory, my other installations work as expected.

Here is a transcript from invoking cygwin.

bash-3.1$ pwd
/usr/bin
bash-3.1$ cd
bash-3.1$ pwd
/home/steve
bash-3.1$ octave
bash-3.1$ octave -v
bash-3.1$ /usr/bin/octave-2.1.73.exe
bash-3.1$ which octave
/usr/bin/octave
bash-3.1$

I use cygwin for other things ,eg ncftp, which works fine.

I uninstalled and re-installed octave before I posted originality - it had no
effect.

Steve

--
Forest of Dean