Re: UMFPACK Installation Problem

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: UMFPACK Installation Problem
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 09:42:09 -0600

on 10/7/06 9:08 AM, Quentin Spencer at address@hidden wrote:

> Krishnan V wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am trying to install octave 2.9.9  on computers in the lab.  The OS
>> are RHEL 3 and Centos 4.3.
>> There is no sparse matrix support and make check failed with a
>> seg-fault.  make went of nicely.
>> i am facing problems installing sparse matrix suite. I downloaded the
>> SparseSuite package from the website and am installing the latest
>> version of UMFPack( 5.0.1).
>> After turning down the optimisation to -O, i did make and got the
>> following error:
>> /****************************************************************************
>> ****/
>> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/root/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Source'
>> gcc -fexceptions -Wall -W -Werror -Wshadow -Wmissing-prototypes
>> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
>> -Wdisabled-optimization -ansi   -I../Include -I../../AMD/Include
>> -I../../UFconfig -DDINT -c umf_analyze.c -o umf_i_analyze.o
>> umf_analyze.c:75: warning: no previous prototype for 'umf_i_analyze'
>> umf_analyze.c: In function `umf_i_analyze':
>> umf_analyze.c:93: warning: ignoring #pragma ivdep
>> umf_analyze.c:580: warning: ignoring #pragma novector
>> gmake[1]: *** [umf_i_analyze.o] Error 1
>> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/root/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Source'
>> make: *** [library] Error 2
>> /****************************************************************************
>> /
>>
>> can anyone help me with this? This is not the mailing list for UMFPack
>> but i would be grateful for any help,
>> other info:gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 20051201:OS Centos 4.3
>>
>> Thanks
>> krishnan
>
> I think you need to build all of SuiteSparse (called UFsparse until a
> few weeks ago) because there are some dependencies between the
> libraries. Since you're dealing with RedHat and CentOS, and Fedora has
> ufsparse RPMs, I'd suggest that you try rebuilding the Fedora SRPM. It
> can be found at
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/SRPMS/uf
> sparse-2.1.0-1.fc6.src.rpm
>
> Quentin

Krishnan,

To get the sparse matrix libraries working on my Mac, I compiled the
following: AND, CAMD, CCOLAMD, CHOLMOD, COLAMD, CXSparse, UMFPACK. I would
start by building these, taking care to modify UFconfig.mk to eliminate the
need for METIS. Try the build, and you may need to export LIBS=-lcamd to get
a complete build when you see missing routines from CAMD.

Joe