Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave

From: Daniel Oberhoff
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:08:03 +0100

Hi All,

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib/ ./configure

Does this successfully compile yapso?

Here it did. I have integrated a lot of standard unix stuff though, meinly through darwinports, so other people's mileage may vary. Running OsX Tiger btw. Btw, I haven't tested it. I was to lazy to figure out were to put all those files afterwards :). I just have a handfull of compiled ".d" files here now...

because the X11-relevant gl stuff is in the X11R6 tree. There is also
OpenGL.framework
but that is for rendering into native windows only I think.

Thank you for enlightening us! So you don't need to link against the OpenGL.framework libraries
explicitly?

No, but as has been stated above the X11 libGL _does_ reference the framework and also it looks like the entry for glBegin etc. in the X11 libGl is just a stub for the one in the framework.

Is there any
way to tell pkg
about these additional flags?

I don't think that you can tell pkg directly about these flags (but this would be a nice feature). However, you can use environment variables which will propagate through the configure script:

$ export CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include
$ export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib
$ octave
octave:1> pkg install /absolute/path/to/yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz
octave:2> pkg list all
octave:3> yapso_demo

Can you confirm that this works on Mac OS X? If yes I will add Mac OS X with those instructions as
supported platform. Which version of Mac OS X are you actually using?

hmm, not quite. First off I had to install the tar file (i.e. pkg install /absolute/path/to/yapso-0.2.1.tar). But I am not using the ultralatest octave and I have seen mentions of problems like this on the list being fixed, so.. anyhow, so after a while of pkg install I get (after a few c-code warnings) this error:

        error: dotexceptnewline: regexp not implemented in this version

I don't get this when I just configure && make in the src directory (with above environment.

Any Ideas?

Daniel