Re: digital differentiator using remez

From: Riccardo Corradini
Subject: Re: digital differentiator using remez
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:47:05 +0100 (CET)

Hi Ron,
I met a similar error runing a bfgs routine on a likelihood econometric function for spatial models
error: invalid conversion from matrix to real vector ( i used growth rates with lots of zeros)
Try to run your function with some values significantly different from zero, and you will probably get rid of that errors.
I suggest to compile the last version of octave2.9.9 from cvs.
Just type sudo apt-get build-dep octave2.9, then
sudo apt-get install checkinstall
After downloading cvs octave see instructions on www.octave.org
type ./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo checkinstall
This will create the new kubuntu package octavew2.9.9.cvs and install it
Cheers
Riccardo
Ron Crummett <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Hi -

I am trying to design a 4th order wideband differentiator using the
remez function. I type in
>>b = remez(4, [0 0.75], [0 0.75*pi], [], 'differentiator');

And I get this response:
error: invalid conversion from matrix to real vector
error: remez: need one weight for each band [=length(band)/2]
error: evaluating assignment _expression_ near line 22, column 3

My only guess is that I need something in the weighting entry, so I
change it to
>> b = remez(4, [0 0.75], [0 0.75*pi], 1, 'differentiator');

Which gives me the message:
error: remez: griddensity is too low; must be greater than 16
error: evaluating assignment _expression_ near line 22, column 3

A third attempt:
>> b = remez(4, [0 0.75], [0 0.75*pi], 1, 'differentiator', 64);
error: remez: incorrect argument list
error: evaluating assignment _expression_ near line 22, column 3

At this point I am out of ideas of what I need to change. Has anyone
had any success with this? I am running 2.9.6 on Kubuntu breezy. Thanks.

-Ron