Re: Convolve and Deconvolve not working right??

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Convolve and Deconvolve not working right??
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:14:56 -0700

I'm still looking for that magical function that when
convolved with some other function, removes all the
'smoothing' that got into it.

Like the video industry, where 'crispning' is used to
improve contrast.

Historically that was done in a very clever manner using a
single transistor and two passive delay lines.  When a step
function was put into this circuit, it would first
undershoot, then overshoot, then settle to the proper
value.  Thus, when a slowly rising signal hit this circuit,
it delayed the rise for a bit, then popped the rise
quickly, then stopped at the right value.  This turned a
slow edge into a fast edge - with no distortion.  The
circuit took poor contrast and made it sharper, thus the
term 'crispning'

My problem is how do I find the function to accomplish what
I need given the original smoothing function?

               Robert