Re: Installing a bleeding-edge Octave next to a stable Octave

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Installing a bleeding-edge Octave next to a stable Octave
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:07:32 +0200

Steve C. Thompson wrote:
Dear Group,

Now that I've learned about some things about Octave's MEX
capability from
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2007-March/003473.html
, I need to think about installing the latest Octave.  As the
which is given to me simply with `apt-get install octave' .  I'm
wondering:

  1. how best to install 2.9.10 and if I can keep 2.1.73 intact;
  2. if 1. happens, can I run the two different versions at will,
     in parallel (for example, I'm currently running simulations
     in 2.1.73, and I'd like to, at the same time, play around
     with 2.9.10 for the MEX work); and
  3. what the chances are I'm about to completely mess up my
     system!

Also, from http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html, link
`Developmental', which sends you to
ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/bleeding-edge , I'm not seeing
2.9.10.  Does this mean 2.9.10 must be installed by way of the
anonymous CVS option?

Any help one these topics will be much appreciated!

Regards,
Steve

Another possibility that has yet to be mentioned is to install to a chroot, or to a virtual machine. You'll for sure not mess up your existing install if you do either of those. M.