Re: Request for combinatorial functions

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: Request for combinatorial functions
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:58:27 -0500

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 16:39 -0700, Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
> Combinatorics seems to be an area where Octave is weak. I would really
> like to be able to do the following: 1) Compute factorials using the
> exclamation point
> notation, e.g., get 24 as the result if I enter "4!". 2) Compute
> n-choose-m using the choose(n,m) notation. These functions really should
> be part of the Octave base.

How about you can add the path of these functions in your global /
user-specific '.octaverc' file? You can also set dispatch() to them,
if Im not wrong, or set something like:

address@hidden
address@hidden

Also, I'd really think people from Signal-Processing field would want
comb() to be a comb-filter instead! Anyway, its just that we cant
probably have a system-wide implementation of this idea.

Also 24! would make Octave incompatible at a grammar level, with the
Matlab language. I also dont see any advantages to doing that, other
than syntactic sugar.

Maybe when someone writes a lisp-MACRO like interface to Octave, the
we could all have our own mini-languages within Octave, and still speak
grammatical Octave!

Cheers,
Muthu